Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learning in a classroom of 32.


I taught high school Biology today and I cannot understand how any kid ever learns in a room of 32 peers and lots of noise. They were more interested in talking to each other then listening about the lesson and the flip book we were making(of course). The flip book took me less then 2 minutes to make by looking at the example, but after cutting out the back sheets for everyone, it still took over 15 mins to explain making the book and helping those who were not paying attention the first time. Zeke's class made these exact flip books last week and I think it took his class less time then the high school sophomore's. It was not a bad day and I got to hear about Gunnar from several other teachers. People seem to know he belongs to me by just looking at me. I did have several of Gunnar's friends in class and at least one person, each hour, always asked, "Are you Gunnar's mom?". That part was really fun for me.

3 comments:

H. Wimmer said...

Yup Lisa Gunnar may look like his Dad but he also looks alot like you too.....At lest you kids look like you Martin looks just like Doug from head to toe...Maybe Roxie will look like me....

Oh yea and Cenny looks just like you too

meredith said...

Wow Lisa, I didn't have classes that big until college. That is a crazy way to try and learn, especially if the classes aren't leveled. As a society, we need to value education more- and I don't mean we need to give more money, I mean we need to value the idea/ideals of learning instead of the $$$.

Heather said...

oh, that why I didn't learn nothin in skool! It not my fault I not bright.