Friday, October 10, 2008

I think I will write a book.



I think I will write a book, called "My life as a Substitute Teacher". I have lots of material from the short year I have been doing this. Today was another day full of wonder about how anyone learns anything in school. I was called about 11:30am to fill in for a teacher who went home ill. I got there and was in a 4/5 grade combo(BTW Not my favorite place last year either.) I had one kid who would not sit down, he walked and twirled around the room and after asking him to return to his seat for the umteenth time I removed him from the room to the prinicple. He not only would not sit down, he threw paper at the garbage can, picked up things from other desks, pounded his feet and hands on the ground, called other students name and kept putting his t-shirt over his knees and sticking his head into his shirt and singing. The principle came up to check on my class a bit later and found me in a dark room with two kids heads down on their desks. She asked, "what happeded here?".
I said, "Well as the class was walking to Art, these two must have hung back as I returned to the room I heard them talking in the bathroom. So, I have them on a time-out."
She said, "Oh OK, I sent the child you sent to my office to art and you need to understand that he is very ADHD."
"Yes, I realize that," I said, "but, the other kids cannot concentrate as he walks and sings around the room, it is very distracting."
"Try to keep him in class from now on and if he is up and around send him on a errand and that should take him long enough that school will almost be over by then." said the principle and then she left.
Well I wonder what his family would say about that? I could not believe the conversation.
Then as the kids were lining up to leave for the day, one boy punched another and then kicked him. I told the kid that hit and kicked to come stand by me and then I took his backpack. I told him I would take him and the pack to the office to report the incident. He then bolted out of the room. I let him go, I had his bag and would drop it off with a note in the office. As the rest of the class was leaving the boy came running back and grabbed his bag, well I am stronger then most 4/5 graders and I kept the bag. He then swore, yelled and tried to hit me. I yelled for a male teacher at the end of the hall and the kid ran off down the hall and struck another student and she punched the kid back and knocked him over. The kid got up and the male teacher caught up with him. He had ripped his finger nail and his finger was really bleeding and he told the teacher I had done it. I looked at the teacher and shook my head and he said, "I think you did that running down the hall and hitting others."
Well I spent the next few minutes filling out paperwork for the incident and for the teacher. I told her I did not understand how anyone learns in that enviroment. I realize I am a sub and that throws everything off, but I never have this issue with other schools and classes. These kids are extremely rude and disrespectful.
Also, one girl stood up tall and puffed her chest out when I told her to take a time-out in the hall after asking her to quiet down half a dozen times. I looked at her after asking her to leave and said "now", she gave me a dirty look, glared and I swear she was triing to intimidate me.
I must admit I agree with the comic. If you think this is not happening at your childs school, go take a seat in your childs room every so often. I would not keep my children it that sort of enviroment long. I would rather homeschool them, even with all the fun I am having while they are at achool

6 comments:

meredith said...

I promise that is NOT happening at Southgate. Those kids would have been sent home long before that- what's up with telling you to send the kid on an errand? If what you faced today was my only public education choice, I would home school as well. Say no to subbing at that school, it's just not worth it.

meredith said...

I promise that is NOT happening at Southgate. Those kids would have been sent home long before that- what's up with telling you to send the kid on an errand? If what you faced today was my only public education choice, I would home school as well. Say no to subbing at that school, it's just not worth it.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Wow I will be surprised after your comments if you get called back to sub there especially if the principal sees your blog. Keep up the good work to maintain discipline and it might eventually work.

Heather said...

I don't think I could ever be a teacher. Just reading your story makes me angry. I can't say that I am too surprised though. I see kids in church and I think they have to be acting the same disrespectful way at home and school as well. Its too bad we all can't have perfect kids and be perfect parents like you ;)

Unknown said...

Thank you Heather it is about time someone else besides myself realized how perfect I am. Thank You!!!

meredith said...

LOL- Lisa I know you well enough to know that you aren't perfect. Darn close though :) Don't worry about the principal reading your blog b/c 1) when will he have time to hunt up your personal blog, especially since it's not even under your name, and 2) with kids like that, they're lucky to get any subs.