Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sizes of clothes, how does anyone know anymore?


This may sound crazy, but I'm having a hard time with clothing size. I have been the same size most of my life, give or take a few years with babies and nursing, but now everything is crazy. I weigh 130, I work out and I lift weights(not much I'll have you know, but some.) In HS I was a size 11 in 10th grade and dropped back down to a 7-9 the rest of the time(I felt like a cow, everyone around me was a 0).
Okay back to the story, the last pair of Old Navy jeans I bought(5-6 years ago) size 8 and they fit great. I decided it was time for new jeans and so off to the mall. After an hour and a half I found the problem. I'm now a size 4 even a 2 in some styles. WHAT!!!!!!! I'm the same size, I still fit the size 8 jeans. Nothing has changed except my hips have dropped into my thighs(saddle bags yea!) I bought the above jeans Levi 505, straight leg and mid rise, I also got the 515, boot cut mid rise size 4 medium. Very comfortable and flattering.
But, what the heck is going on with the clothing sizes. I even now wear an extra small shirt and that is ridiculous, what about the truly extra small people in the world aka Vanessa. Can she find anything to fit? I hate shopping for clothes, too many sizes to choose from and every style is a different size, this is when I wish I was a man. Know your size and buy it even without trying it on, that's a dream.

6 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

My dream to be a size 5!!

Anonymous said...

it used to be the more $$ the clothes the smaller your size. I wore a size 5 in HS and when I went to try on dresses, I wore 5-0 depending on the dress maker. The mass market stores have started to follow suit b/c a woman will usually spend a little more or stay loyal to a brand if it's a smaller size than the other brands. As the world has gotten heavier, really small people- like Nessa have to look really hard to find anything that fits- they're such a minority that the stores don't care about loosing them to keep the masses happy.
~Mer

Paige said...

You are ridiculous, of course you are a size 4, I wear 8s and you and vanessa look very similar size wise to me. The problem before you were wearing your clothes too big, just like your...(you will have to ask me). Seriously.

H. Wimmer said...

I agree with Paige you wore you jeans too big... Something I have noticed its not what size you wear anymore its how you look in them. My jeans range from a size 2-8. All of them fit great but they are all different sizes from diffident stores...Just be lucky I can't wear Old navy to save my life.

Heather said...

I know, I agree with paige though. I am more shocked that you THINK you are a size 8 then the fact that your a 4. you crazy tiny people.

If you were an 8...what would that make me? 26? Yeah, I prefer my 14 to that.

H. Wimmer said...

One more thing Lisa.... Victoria's Secret... I wear a 10 and I haven't more a 10 since college... I don't look at sizes just how the outfit or jeans fit.