Monday, November 10, 2008

Post on Heathers post



I read Heathers post on getting out of debt and staying that way and I had to post my opinion. I listen to an hour podcast of Dave Ramsey everyday and I am always inspired by the words of those struggling and fighting to pay their bills and get out of debt. It is amazing to hear the lengthen some people will go to get out of debt, Extra jobs, no vacations, beans and rice, rice and beans, no new items, no new clothes and a very small Christmas. We were very blessed to be given this book to read from my in-laws. I read it and then every other book Dave Ramsey had written. I decided this was the plan for us and then David read the books. Dave Ramsey and his program has been a blessing in our lives and we are on baby step 5 and I think we will be stuck in this step for awhile. Paying for college is going to be tough, but not having student loans will be worth the cost. Keep up the good work Heather and I cannot wait to see Dave Live in Kansas City in May(if my car will make it that far).


Now its your turn! Use the Baby Steps to get your finances in order and on track. Then pass them on to someone you know and help change their life!

1.$1,000 to start an Emergency Fund

2. Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball

3. 3 to 6 months of expenses in savings

4. Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement

5. College funding for children

6. Pay off home early

7. Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate

Another book I love is by Peter Walsh, Its All Too Much. It is a book about clutter and how

clutter robs us of our life energy and our ability to live in the present. I just cleaned out Cenneidigh's room and we have a new rule, anything new in means something old has to go. I have at least 10 grocery bags full of things she does not use or need any more and she still has plenty in her room. Clutter just seems to build in the corner without notice until you cannot walk in the room any more. I have a genetic problem with clutter, all of my relatives have this issue, we keep everything. Not anymore I am turning over a new leaf. Clutter be gone. The garbage can is full and it does not get picked up until Thursday. OH well it is a learning experience. The back of the van is also full of items to go to the Salvation Army.
Read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Make Over and Peter Walsh's Its All Too Much. Life changing books.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep hoping that Dave will come closer to me - so far Portland is as close as he has come.
I had planned on traveling to see him sometime next year but now I'm going to Birmingham for a Christian women's conference - no money in the budget for both!

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

I am so happy for both of you and I think I love Dave Ramsay. But I also love the book about Clutter. When I was raising all of you I read a book called Clutters last Stand and it so inspired me that Dad was looking for stuff for years after. Remember that was in the basement still packed from our move to Minnesota 28 years ago. You are right clutter in is past down from one generation to another, others called it collecting. Either way it is so nice not to have much of it anymore. Ignore my basement alot of that is Amanda´s. At least I can blame it on her for now!!!

Ashley said...

I love Peter Walsh. I have been watching him on TV for YEARS!! He is great. I have used his philosphy for a long time and it really works! Especially in my closet. Bring in something new something old has to go. At the end of each season throw out the items you never wore because the likely hood you will wear them next time around is slim since you didn't this time around! You are motivating me to do a fall clean up! Thanks!!!

Heather said...

I'm so very inspiring aren't I! :)
We are kind of stuck on baby step 3 1/2. We have our emergency fund set up, but we are saving for a Van and working on the basement, so baby step 4 has to wait just a little bit longer. Who knew it could take so long to pay cash for a Van!! agghhh...
I will have to read Walsh's book. I haven't ever heard of it. Does that mean I will have to clean my house though? bummer.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

I am grateful you gave us the Dave Ramsey books to take to Randy and Heather. Just think of the peace you have enjoyed following the Prophets counsel to get out of debt. Randy told me when I gave him the books he wasn´t going to follow Dave Ramsey, but later he said he was going to use the books so he could do what the Prophet said to do and he needed the help to get out of debt.

Paige said...

My mission presidents wife was obsessed about our apt. being clean and not just clean but clutter free. She said if our homes were messy and cluttered the spirit couldn't be there because it creates contention to have the home such a disaster. So true, what do you ever fight w/roomies about.