Friday, September 12, 2008

Worried about nothing.


I always think my life is so boring that I will have nothing to blog, but alas, I do. Yesterday at taste panel one of the men was talking about not liking his pastor and refusing to go to church because of him. He said the pastor was bashing on the Mormons saying things like, "I can always tell if a Mormon is around, the hair on my neck and arms stands straight up, and I hate those Missionaries." Fred, the man at taste panel, thought that no one especially a church leader should bash on anyone. Well then someone said they had heard weird things about the Mormons and that they could not be true because look I was a Mormon( and my father who many of them had worked with over the years) and I seemed pretty normal. I said, "Yes, we are very normal and yes some people get upset because of our Missionaries." That started one women, Peggy, to say that she did not mind the Missionaries, but could not understand why she could not go inside the Omaha Temple. She had visited Winter Quarters this summer and loved the visitor center, but wanted to go inside the temple. I told her that not even all members of the church are allowed inside and that an interview is required to get a recommend to go inside. She was great with that and was no longer upset about getting turned away, "If even people in your church cannot go in then I am OK with not going in." The discussion ended with the panel starting. I would have liked to share more, but no time. One man did look at me like I was from space after someone said I was Mormon, I do not know why.
Here is a photo of a statue from Winter Quarters that we saw this summer.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

What an interesting pastor....;( I think it was respectful of that guy "Fred" to say what he did. Great missionary experience huh!

Nessa said...

What...you AREN'T from outerspace? Wow, now my whole belief system has to get thrown out the window! :)

Heather said...

It's sad, but we have the same misconceptions her in good 'ol Utah. I'm glad you can have a discussion with them about our religion though. It is pretty cool.

meredith said...

Lisa, you rock. Great job. My favorite wierd Mormon questions were when someone asked me if we ate ham (it was the day after Easter and I had to actually show him the ham in the fridge.) and when people think that we cosumate our marriages in the Temple. That one always makes me laugh. One day I'm totally going to say, "It's really not that crazy if you think about what all your youth are doing in the balconies at your churches." Okay I'll only say that here, but it's still funny.

Unknown said...

My going away party from my last real job(12 plus years ago) was at the head nurses house and her mother was there for a visit. I came in and sat down and her mom started to go through my hair. I looked at her and said "excuse me have you lost something?" She said, "I am just looking for your horns, I hear you shave them so they don't show." The nurse, Sharon, was so embarrassed and apologized for her mom. Her mom then wanted to see my funny underwear. I showed her my shoulder and she was surprised by my description it was not what she had been told. Also she said that we shower or bathe with one finger or toe in the funny underwear at all times. I just wonder who spreads these stupid rumors and why anyone would believe them.

Dawn said...

Missionary moments are the best. Way to go!