Saturday, September 6, 2008

Camping at Oxbow Park.








Friday started cold and dark and then warmed up, but it sprinkled on the way to the camping park. I was worried it would rain all night. But, the sky cleared and was beautiful after dark. Stars everywhere and very close to see. Shawn cooked chicken, potatoes, and onions for dinner and it was incredible. Camping has a way of making you hungry. We set up the tents and realized that a sleeps 12 is not talking about using blow up mattresses and large kids. Gunnar slept in the van with the dog. Parker really enjoyed all the freedom and attention.
The kids went into the tents about 11pm. The adults stayed up at the fire laughing and joking around, yelling at the kids to settle down every so often. David was wearing black and kept
hiding and sneaking up on us. It was very dark. Shawn stopped talking about 12:45pm, we kept asking if he was asleep and he kept saying "no" but he was. We got to bed abut 1:20am and it was cold. The night was clear and the sky was beautiful. Everyone slept until about 6:30am.
In the AM Shawn made breakfast and we had eggs, pancakes, bacon, and re fried potatoes. YUM, I ate way too much. We told the kids to go take a hike, after an hour we started to worry, but who knew they would really take a hike. We went to look for them and David found them at the Oxbow Zoo. They had taken the long hike about 3 miles to the zoo, they did follow the trail signs. We followed the road and it took 10 mins, they followed the trail and it took over an hour.
All and all we had a great time and the food was great. Who knew how much our kids can eat. They went through tons of food and drinks. Thanks Shawn for the food, he is a great camp cook.

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Love the picture of the kids in the van...Gunnar looks soooooo excited!

meredith said...

Thanks for going with us, it was so much fun! My favorite part was when we laughed about Shawn scaring all the kids and then less than 30 seconds later I freaked out b/c I saw David all in black- Seriously he was scary!!!!!!
I'm glad you liked the food. Shawn says he wants to make beef stew next time- that should be yummy as well. Hey and just so you know I peeled potatoes lol

Unknown said...

We all kept hearing this honking sound and I looked at Meredith just as Shawn was walking up and she said "Don't worry about the sound, he is just Horney" I looked at Shawn and said "I think that is more information then I wanted" Meredith laughed and realized I had not really been thinking about the honking sound. It turned out to be ELK.
Also I was walking up to the table and Meredith said to Shawn "Would you die for her?" Meredith was pointing at Lily. Shawn said "No" looking disgusted. I said "What you wont die for Lily" Shawn said "She asked if I would diaper her not die for her" OOOOOHHHHHH. That makes more sense.