Monday, November 8, 2010

Perfect moments....

I have to keep this in mind more often. The other day in the 4th grade class I had a perfect moment. The day had been busy and some of the kids had acted up and had to turn their cards, but for one moment the clock stopped and everything was perfect. We were reading a story about a cowboy in the old west and everyone was following along with the reader and knew where we were when I called on them to read. The questions they asked were appropriate and on topic. I stood there and marveled, wow if this is what it was like to teach everyday I would kill to have this job. It's amazing what a perfect moment in time can feel like.
I had another one while listening to Gunnar play the tuba in the band and then while watching him sing a spiritual later in the same concert. He had the look of pure joy on his face and I realized how much I'm going to miss him next year. This was the last fall concert of his high school career. He will have many more lasts this year, each one bitter sweet for him and me. But, I have to keep in mind that they will only lead to more firsts for us both.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

2 comments:

Nessa said...

It really will be strange with him gone...when do we start to help you with open-house preparations???

A Sharing Heart said...

I love that quote and the older we get the more we understand the truth of it. Our families are our most valued gift. we need to remember those breath taking moments with them. When they are all gone from our contrant encercling arms that what we have left.