Monday, April 19, 2010

Book 49 The Hunger Games, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 and 56

First Keillor so far and it was OK, can't say I loved it, didn't hate it either. I want to go to Rome.
Be creative for you, not for the money and remember its yours and no one else really cares(at least until you make it big.) Listen to your creative drive no one else, it's what you need to do. Not for everyone.
Another favorite, actually the first book in the series. I started at book three and have worked backwards.
Very interesting, I will never hire a maid service after reading this. I bet that was not what I was suppose to get out of this book, but that is what sticks with me. Raising the minimum age is not the answer, goods will just go up and 5 dollars will be worth 1 dollar soon if we do. Something else needs to be done, education assistance and j0b training with a up in wages once you learn the job and stay put for a minimum of time.
Interesting, "Regard you soldiers as your children, and they will follow you to the deepest valleys. Look on them as your beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death." "In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire then to destroy it." Destroy the enemy's plans and conquer without bloodshed and fighting. I enjoyed it, the historical information after the book was informative about what was happening during the time he wrote this book. This was suggested in another book I just read. Short, but interesting. Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

This was a Playaway and under three hours, but it's following my search for Happiness. Great quotes: "I am beneath no one and superior to no one." "I am independent and above the need of the praise and acceptance of others," Nelson Mandela said. "Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies." He goes through the eight steps to enlightenment, I will listen to it again. Very good. Also a DVD that played on PBS. Some practice modes to follow. "We need to accept our shadows, if we have no shadow, we are standing in darkness. Accept them is the first part to letting them go and accepting others helps them let them go and rid the earth of more evil."
My teacher, Mrs. Graber, read this to us in 5th grade and I cried and when the movie came out I refused to go. Zeke brought it home on a Playaway, so I picked it up while I was making Gunnar's costume. I love this book, it makes me cry every time I think about it. Jess is sure he was selfish for not taking Leslie with him to Washington DC with his teacher, he loved being alone with the teacher. Leslie was dead when he got home, she had fallen on her way across the creek to Terabithia. He feels it's his fault, this story breaks my heart. I'm hearing different things this time around. The mother seemed mean, but now I see her as tired and beaten down by poverty. His parents love him, but they are so busy working to keep food on the table, that it seems to Jess that they don't care like they should.

Wow, lots of violence for a young adult book, but WOW!!!.. I started and finished this morning. I'm looking forward to the next one, I think it is a trilogy. Fast paced, I didn't put it down. I've got nothing done today and I really enjoyed reading it. Another place and time and the needs that drive us to do things we would otherwise never do. I loved it! looking forward to the next one.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I think I'll read a couple of those books. You are right about the Hunger Games. Love it! Very violent indeed but not gory. The second one "Catching Fire" is really good too.