Thursday, April 8, 2010

Book 46, 47 and 48 The Happiness Project.

Cute, teenager drama, fun to read and fast. It may be made into a Disney movie.
Funny, about a writer and her friend. It was OK, not great.

Quotes I love from the book. "The days are long, but the years are short."
"All knowledge is interesting to a wise man." "Its okay to ask for help." "To be happy, I need to think about feeling good, feeling bad and feeling right." "Fake it till you feel it." "There is an I in happiness." "Do good, feel good; feel good, do good." "Show up, familiarity breeds affection." You can't buy happiness, but you can rent it for awhile. That is from July.

Each month she choose goals to reach and things to learn to do. I loved the idea, just not sure how much work I want to put into it. I think I'm mostly a happy person, but so did she. She just wanted to learn to be more happy and to enjoy her life before it was over, or before a major crisis made her wish for what she had before it. Fighting her nature was the hardest and I think that will be the case for me(don't nag, don't gossip, don't complain, don't fight etc.). Let things go and feel lighter. Negatives are remembered more then positive ones. After a trip or an event with the family I ask, "What was your favorite part?" It is amazing what they come up with and even a year later they remember that, it is helpful in making the memory stick.
Sometimes I feel I am the only one to do something, and then I have to think, would I really be happy if someone else did it? Sometimes yes, but most of the time NO! So I need to stop complaining and just enjoy being in-charge and doing it myself.

She has 12 commandments.
1. Be Lisa (I will cover this one later)
2. Let it go.(Is it really that important?)
3. Act the way I want to feel(faking it can actually make it real)
4. Do it now. (I am a fantastic procrastinator)
5. Be polite and be fair.
6. Enjoy the process.(I have to remind myself to do this, it is about the process, the journey, not the destination that makes a great life.)
7.Spend out.(I have a problem with this, I keep things for special and then never use them. And I avoid buying things I know I will love, if they are just for me.)
8 Identify the problem.
9. Lighten up.(People don't notice your mistakes(or much at all) as much as you think.)
10. Do what ought to be done
11. No calculations
12 There is only love.(This one is amazing, if there is only love the magic happens. Enemies become friends and hearts are changed. People say,"I could never stand to be with that person, they are so...." When there is only love they are just that and you even begin to enjoy time with them. I've done this a few times and it works, its difficult, but worth it every time I have put it into practice.)
I suggest this book to everyone, even if you are happy. Great things to think about and quick to read. Loved it!!!!!! Really did, if you don't have time read the December chapter only.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think I will give the happiness project a read. I hope my crappy library actually has it. Thanks for sharing.

Dane said...

Love it, and thanks for the details, those are great! I'll check it out.