Saturday, December 19, 2009

Teenagers, what to do?



Last night Amanda came in the house with our kids, Gunnar and she were steaming mad. She was upset because she was not going to allow him, or the rest to ride in a car that was packed with ten kids and five seat belts and one in the trunk(kid that is). Yes, I agree with her and we had a long talk about seat belts and safety and death. I have to say that I would miss this guy the rest of my life if anything happened to him, especially when I should have just gotten in the cold car and picked them up myself, which I will do from now on.(or David, hopefully David)
We tried to explain it wasn't the driver we were worried about, so much as it was the other umpteen stupid drivers out there. Amanda told them that she loved them too much to see anything happen to them and I feel the same way. Why is it they think they are immortal at that age? You are human and a car crash, even a small one could leave you dead or extremely disabled. Please wear your seat belt every time, every trip.
To all the teenagers out there, please wear your seat belt, follow the rules of the road and do not take more kids then you have seat belts. As parents, we would not make it without you in our lives, you would leave a huge whole in our hearts forever. We love you more then life itself, please be careful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

With 10 kids in the car, I would think they are pack in tight enough not to need seat belts.
Come on, we all loaded to many of us in a car at one time, and nobody died.

Randy

Anonymous said...

When its your kid it is very different, believe me. Icy roads and crappy foreign drivers everywhere who don't know how to drive. Trust me it is scary to just let them walk out the door some days. Little ones vs teenagers is a big difference. JT does what I ask and goes where I take him. Gunnar does what he wants and goes where he wants to with kids I don't know very well. Scary believe me no control what so ever anymore. Lisa

Heather said...

My kids aren't going to grow up are they?
It wasn't too long ago that I did the same thing. We had someone in the trunk or on laps all the time. one of my high school friends died because he fell out of the back of a truck bed while they were driving on the freeway.

meredith said...

I thought the kids in the trunk was a new thing. You guys a freaking crazy if you ride around in the trunk. Good job Amanda. Nice way to step up and parent some kids that really needed it. I think the world would be a better place if we were all willing to step up when kids really needed us too, (disclaimer: I do not mean telling someone else's kids how to dress or that they are going to hell,or whatever, but actually taking the time to stop kids when serious injury is possible.) instead of just driving by thinking what stupid kids....

Paige said...

i have ridden in the trunk before, its not that we thought we were invincible, its that we just didn't think. Come on it was Gunnar he just didn't think. Plus Randy is right we did that all the time, even Amanda...I remember dad packing us into the Fiero with us 3 and the Anderson girls after swim lessons.

Anonymous said...

So I conclude that we are all stupid and lucky to be alive. Lisa But just wait until it is your kids being stupid it changes the whole experience, trust me! Lisa

Dane said...

"As parents, we would not make it without you in our lives, you would leave a huge whole in our hearts forever. We love you more then life itself, please be careful."

So true. Tears to my eyes true.

grandma said...

Well I learned a few things today, glad I didn´t know them back then! I wish all people would remember it is the ones left behind that have to suffer not the one that has gone. The suffering goes on a life time just ask anyone that has lost a child or a parent they are never the same again!