Thursday, December 31, 2009

Memories are a pain sometimes.


Tears that come with them are a pain anyway. Time goes by so fast, that sometimes I wonder if I'll remember much at all. The kids have played xbox for days now and I'm looking forward to school so I can shut it off for awhile, but listening to them is funny. The names they call each other, the help they ask for to destroy the alien attacking them. It's hard to keep a straight face sitting her typing. Someday I guess I will miss the noise that fills my home right now. But, I have plenty of time for peace and quiet in the future.

My grandma is 90 today and it seems like only yesterday when I was living with her and grandpa. The big sandwiches he would pack for my lunch and the "be careful" look in his eyes every time I left the house. He was always asleep in his chair when I came home, no matter what the time. Grandmas would call from her room to make sure I had a nice time and to say goodnight. Grandma warned me once, with a smile on her face, that if I didn't stop spending all my money they would charge me rent(she would give it all back when I moved out, a forced savings plan.) They never did implement it, sometimes I wish they had. I got paid and then wrote a big check to the Emporium to cover my charge account every month. Nothing in savings after all.
I remember being in Hawaii with them and trying to get grandma into the water to snorkel. The waves kept knocking her down no matter how hard we tried to get in. We finally landed on the sand and sat there laughing. She sent me off on my own and went back to our room for a long nap. What a great trip that was and the memories I will have forever. Thank you grandma for the wonderful experiences that year gave me.

19 years ago last November I left California to marry David and I cried when I left my friends, job and grandparents. It had been a great year and even with the wedding I knew I would miss it and them. Its hard to imagine it has been that long, it really seems like yesterday, except when I look around my house at all the kids and things I've collected since.(way to much stuff.)

With Steven moving I've been thinking about memories. Abby I must admit is going to be the hardest for me. She lights up whenever she sees me and screams "Lisa!" How could you not miss that? Good luck you guys. You will be missed.

But, everyday opens to us an adventure with new experiences to have. Here's to the future and the memories to be made and remembered forever. Cheers!!!

2 comments:

Dane said...

What a moving post, I felt like I was taking a little journey with you. Thanks for sharing....

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Well 19 years and five children later I keep looking at you and wondering where that tiny blue eyed girl went. I was your whole life and then off you went and grew up and I am now in the position of my mother and you will someday be in my position, good memories are nice to have and I have so many of them with you at the center. Mom