Saturday, February 6, 2010

First week down

I worked Monday - Friday doing taxes this week. Most of the time I felt confident in my ability, but there were those few returns that needed special attention and I had to stop and bug the guy working in the next desk(Larry quick question?) Not always quick we all discovered. Lots of changes in the law this year and if you have educational expenses it is a great year for that and property tax is tax deductible even if you don't itemize just like last year. It was a busy week, but I learned lots and met many new and interesting people. The life of a tax preparer in a small town is riddled with many lost dreams and regrets. People with unemployment from lost jobs and no education beyond high school because they got too busy with life to go or to finish college, yet they have huge student loans that they are not paying back. Anyone out there who doesn't know this---STUDENT LOANS ARE NOT BANKRUPTABLE(IF THAT IS EVEN A REAL WORD) AND THE INTEREST KEEPS ACCRUING AND IF YOU DON'T PAY THEM OFF THEY WILL TAKE YOUR TAX REFUND AND EVEN YOUR WAGES UNTIL YOU DO. Love the stories and the reasons that this year was awful, bad market, bad job market, bad housing market, bad weather, bad whatever and yet that seems to be every year. It is all confidential so I can't tell you anything anyway. Keep your records.

3 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Glad to see you are enjoying your work - seems better than last year at least.

Paige said...

I think bankruptable is a great word, we do this in law all the time, make up words because courts have word counts for briefs. I think I will try and use that one

Unknown said...

Listening to stories like that make me so thankful that hubby and I found Dave Ramsey when we did. My pay is taking a cut these next few months while I'm on maternity leave and I'll be paying for health insurance out of pocket - but it's no big deal because we had been stockpiling a "cushion" for this time once we realized I was pregnant.

Especially in this economy when it's harder to run out and get an equal paying job it's not the time to walk around with your head in the sand and hope nothing bad happens!