Friday, September 4, 2009

Rudeness and how to avoid it.


I was watching Oprah the other day and she did a show on Rudeness and how 85% of the population complains about the rudeness of others and 99% said they are never rude themselves. Well someone is confused that's for sure. Have you done any of the following:

1. Been late for any reason.

2. Email while on the phone.(this one I do not agree with, multitasking is my life.)

3. Taken a parking spot you know someones else is waiting for.

4. Answered a Cell phone while talking to another person.

5. Answering you call waiting for a non-needed call.(non-emergency or you were waiting for someone to return a call or call.)

6. Spoken you mind without worry to what others might think, or hurting others feeling, or writing your feeling where others will read them?

7. Expect someone who is a family member, or friend to drop their life to help you out(non-emergency item you just don't want the hassle) when you aren't even willing to drop your life to help yourself? Some people cannot say 'NO' it does not mean we take advantage of them.

8. Gossip

9. Do you use the ten item or less line with more items?

10. Do you let your children cry, yell, or talk loudly in meetings, church, theatre or other quiet areas?

11. Do you forget to RSVP or do it late?

12. Do you cut in line?

13. Texting or taking or making a call during a meeting, church, theatre, or other quiet areas?

14. Thought you were better then a service worker and left a small or no tip because of any reason? Most problems are not always ones they create, do not take someone else's mistake out on the wrong person.

Peggy Tabor Millin once said, "We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace."

Being rude is really just transferring your feelings of inadequacies about 'whatever' to other people and their behaviors.

Everyone we know or meet has the opportunity to feel who we really are, are we who we want to be or are we too busy to really care about others? Polite behavior, a thank you, and a please are never out of place or out of fashion. Think about that the next time you decide something needs to be said or done, does it really? What difference will it make? If the answer is that it will make you feel better, then don't do it. Write it down, yell at the air(when your alone), or let it go. Rude behavior is something we all do, lets stop and see what happens. I bet we will all feel closer to each other and to the Lord.

5 comments:

WonderKitty said...

This is a great post Lisa! I work at a bank and I can say that I give and get my share of rudeness. I know that I need to let more things go, but my pride makes me stew over them to make my actions feel justified. If we could all take that extra second to ask "what will this accomplish?" we would all have more plesant lives.

Ashley said...

I like this post. I think people really don't think they are being rude when they actually really are. I have had that happen to me and I KNOW I have done it to others. If we read that list then maybe the next time it comes around we will be able to think about it and no be rude subconsciously (spelling?)

meredith said...

Well i am very rude b/c I found several of those items to be totally acceptable. I think the never be late for any reasons is just crazy- like the guy who put out a car fire one performed cpr and saved a man's life was fired b/c he was very late for work.

Also here are my biggest pet peeves of rude moments

People who lie- especially when they know you know they are lieing. It happened all the time managing apts.

And people who bring their kids to places where children should not be and are then offended b/c they are asked to remove their children (like people who bring their infants to Lord of the Rings or other movies that aren't appropriate for them) AND people who attend totally child appropriate events and then insist that the children should be quiet (Like any disney film- especially in the afternoon or a public place like the park)

Okay I'm done. now I'm off to call me brother... while I answer emails :)

Heather said...

I like this post. Maybe you should have written it though BEFORE my trip to the DI. That was pretty rude if you ask me. We had a lesson today about the Holy Ghost and I think if you have the spirit with you always, you will find yourself being polite, generous, thankful, helpful, etc. Anger and rudeness don't really fall in line with the HG. We can't change what others do, but we can always improve ourselves.
This is especially helpful in dealing with children who misbehave. still working on that one.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Being late is a big problem here in Iceland. Every event we plan the people doing it with us tell us to say a start time and plan on starting 30 minutes or more later. It is so hard to have meetings on that basis. I will always try from now on not to ever be late to anything as it is very upsetting to those who are doing the planning no matter what it is.