Thursday, February 12, 2009

The strange world we live in.


The world is full of strange things, but I think that this area has to top the list. Doing taxes gives you a lot of information about people and I can tell you WOW!!! I know more about many people and families then I ever wanted too. Whenever I think my life sucks, I just have to think about all the people I have served so far this year and then I remember that my life is a cake walk. My problems are small and if only I can help my children realize how important it is to make good decisions now then theirs can be a cake walk to, at least when compared to the lives I am dealing with.

Examples:

1. Many many single mothers with many children from many fathers and no child support or assistance from the fathers at all.

2. Multiple w-2s from lack of a single good job and raising a family with a very little income.
3. Intelligence in question in some of the people we serve.

4. Needing their refund now so they willingly pay sometimes in the range of $300 to get it in the next day or so.
5. Low incomes for families. Under 20000 a year with two income earners and multiple kids.
6. Someone told me her grandmother was rich because she made $14 an hour. The girl made under $7000 last year and is a single mother.

7. I could go on, but it is just scary the financial lives some people live.

I feel sorry for many of the people we serve, their lives are very different from what I would imagine the life they wish they had. Money is not everything, but life without it is difficult. Education is the only way out. Their lives are holding then hostage from a lack of money and the stupid use of credit and the only key is to get an education. But then number 3 comes in to play.

2 comments:

Heather said...

It is really sad. too bad not everyone can be as cool as you and me.

meredith said...

Thanks for reminding me how good we really have it