Thursday, June 12, 2008

Austin Under Water (flood warning)


Well almost. Some of these pictures were taken in the early am before the rivers got as high as they got.
We have been up and working most of the day. Gunnar, Qatar, and I have filled sand bags at the Salvation Army and at Johnny's. We helped move office items at the Salvation Army also. We pulled soaked carpet out of a friends basement and moved lots and lots of auto supplies from low shelves to higher shelves. I know that poor auto supply store will not be able to find anything for awhile. They made us leave before we were done because the water was rising and the parking lot was flooding. At Johnny's I felt like we were using a finger to plug the hole in the dam. No matter how fast we filled the bags, they cried for more and more. At one point the river pushed the wall of sand bags down in one place.
I have blisters and a very sore back. I was holding bags for a women, who was at least 20 years older then I am and we worked and worked. My back hurt so bad and I was sure she would take a break soon, but she never did. She was not even from Austin. She told me she has a small creek in her yard in Brownsdale and when it goes over the banks she knows Austin is in trouble, so she got in the car and came to help.
Bonnie finally pulled us out and made us leave. She had picked a point when we got there and when the water topped the mark she pulled us out. She was worried our cars would get stuck in the water. The road out was covered in water and it was rising, luckily we drove through only ankle deep water.
The rivers do not even crest until tonight. I am exhausted and so are the boys. Real physical labor; squats, heavy lifting, moving large heavy bags, tying and shoveling sand. I was worried about getting exercise today because I did not have the bike paths to ride on. I got more then enough exercise today and I know I will feel it tomorrow.
We rode the bike paths yesterday and today they are all covered in water. It is amazing how fast the weather and landscape can change. Austin is very different today then it was yesterday.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yikes! I'm glad we don't live there right now. I bet it is hard to swim back from the grocery store with all those bags weighing you down.

TStevens said...

You take great photo's