Friday, August 14, 2009

Strage phone call yesterday

A women from Atlanta called to ask me a few personal questions yesterday morning. She had all of my personal information in regards to my address, phone number, birth date, marriage status, employment status and maybe more she didn't mention. My personal information had been subpoenaed by their attorney from my email account and other areas. My email had sent inappropriate information to her husbands email account at work and he had lost his job.

I had noticed a few months or more back that I was getting mail returned that I had never sent. I always receive lots of mail that I dump immediately and so I turned up my SPAM filter and more started going there. A few bank accounts have told me I have had unauthorized activity, but I dumped those without reading, knowing I did not have accounts at those banks. This guy said he had his social security number stolen and he had new accounts at all these banks he did not set up and the email used was mine.

This couple has spent over $50,000 in legal fees and is now being sued by a Lisa Peters in Atlanta for defamation of character for $75,000. They accused her of being the one tampering with his computer when he lost his job, she worked with him for several years and is a computer expert.

Now this has got me worried. What do you think?

I had a credit card I closed a few years back reopened and issued to another person who charged over $10,000 in one weekend before they called me to verify. That took a year to work through, but I owed nothing in the end. I think I will buy Identity Theft Insurance now. The cyber world is scary some days.

6 comments:

Heather said...

that is so scary. I go back and forth on identity theft insurance all the time. you really think it is worth it?

meredith said...

Lisa that is really scary. You should follow up with your CC's and file some sort of report as well as with the ATTY Gen in Atlanta as that woman's lawyer should not have subpoenaed your information and even if the attn did, why would this woman contact you directly instead of through the attn of the L.P who is sueing them? The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Annie Anderson said...

if you have the phone number that showed up on the caller id, google that number and read up of any complaints that may be on google from that number.

Ashley said...

Yikes!

H. Wimmer said...

Doug and I have identity theft protection for us and the kid. I have to admit it makes me feel so much better!!

After working in a financial office and saw what can happen when someone steals you or your kids identity it is totally worth have the protection. It took over 5 years for a man to get his credit and identity back after someone stole it and he will never receive Social security because they drained his accounts.

Renee Anderson said...

Lisa, Keep us informed on this. Heidi, how does identity theft ins work?
Jeff had his identity stolen years ago, but the Minneapolis police were able to take care of it. It didn't cost us anything just took about 16 hours on the phone talking to the major credit bureaus and all our credit card people and our bank, but this happened before the common usage of the internet.